All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never ever before have so numerous brand-new strategies and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses countless individuals the opportunity to minimize or remove their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and pain-free method to remedy vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by fancy ads about a particular laser center. Choose the medical professional, not the laser. Learn who will in fact do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Select a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor doesn't understand can injure you.
4. Request details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your doctor will not inform i loved this you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Look for a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating room. Make sure that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute. The potential savings are not worth the threat of getting less than skilled care!
7. Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. Each patient gets a slightly different outcome. The very best surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a car; next this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the vision of millions of individuals all over the world.